Saturday, August 13, 2011

We Went Camping

Sorry I missed you yesterday. We went camping. It was...uh...fun. Actually we did have a nice time, the night was just rough. It's a good thing we drove three hours to get there or we would have just gone home at eleven when the crying began. I forgot what waking up every hour feels like...then holding the poor thing for half the night. I can't quite figure out what the problem was except that she was so out of her element that she just couldn't ever get comfy. Oh well. It was beautiful anyway and felt good to get out.

When we first got there, Avery loved watching us set up camp from the pack-n-play. Too bad it was short lived.

Next, we tried to contain her on a tarp. She was content to sit on it and play on the sidelines for awhile. I kept feeding her little treats to keep her from eating the dirt and rocks.

That was short lived also.

She loved the fire. She was dying to play in it. I decided this is a hard age to take camping. She's not walking more than five steps yet, but too mobile to enjoy the world from my arms. Oh well, the toasted coconut marshmallows roasted over the fire were totally worth it all. Seriously, none of us even made a s'more because they were so good on their own.



Okay, so Friday night was torture....and cold. But once the sun came up I decided we'd make the best of what energy we had left. It was a beautiful morning and nothing quite beats sausage, eggs, and bacon in the mountains.
Avery enjoyed the food but wanted rocks for dessert. She just got her teeth and she was trying to grind them down on the rocks! Can you tell we gave up keeping her out of the dirt? I was too tired to care if she even ate it. Just the rocks worried me.

She thinks she's so sly sticking a rock in her mouth...look at that guilty face!

These two make me laugh. They're pretty perfect for each other, but going through these I laughed again because I'm sure that was Austin's 8th soda and we hadn't even been there 10 hours! I can't make too much fun though, because I enjoyed a little root beer too.

We got Avery ready for the day (I actually threw away the jammies...that's how tired I was...) and she found this cute little tree just her size. Visions of my beautifully decorated Christmas tree crashed into a reality of "kid-friendly" this year as I watched her tear the thing apart.

We went out exploring and found a couple really beautiful lakes. (I hate this picture of me, but it's one of the only ones I have...don't look too close)

We brought lunch out to a lake and Avery finally got a good nap in.

So did Brian...

A lake side picnic. Yum.

Avery did a lot of walking.

A LOT of walking...

Glad Brian got a little time to relax from all the baby tending. Not a bad view either.
I think she had a good time, don't you?


No comments: