Thursday, November 11, 2010

#11

I'm thankful for MUSIC!

I love the way music can change your mood. I can hear "boogie shoes" and instantly dance my way out of a funk by its contagious funk. Carrie Underwood's the best to sing along with at the top of my lungs. And yes, every now and then I pull out the ol' Justin Timberlake as a wonderful pick-me-up. More specifically though, I'm grateful for the piano and the talent I've developed to play it. Now, with my mom as a piano teacher, I will tell you that my sister compared our piano lessons to our household chores, like learning how to do the laundry. While this might have been true, I VIVIDLY remember begging my mom to go over songs with me and hearing her correct me from the kitchen, "Try a flat!" as my lessons seemed to coincide with dinner prep.
Anyway, I just started piano lessons up again after Avery. I kept meaning to schedule them and another week would pass by, and another...It would always slip my mind until I no longer had a baby in my arms and by that time it was 10pm. Oh how I've missed my students! I'm so grateful to be able to share and teach others the joy I feel playing the piano. And selfishly, it's ridiculously rewarding watching their hard work pay off after mastering a difficult song.
My piano is my therapist. I go to it when I'm sad and sing it songs, or happy and play a little ragtime, or bored and just mess around with whatever I happen to pull up.

I think I'm rambling. Bottom line: I LOVE MUSIC!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

that all the pennies song you sent me...that's another fun sing along!

Lennie-leigh said...

You hit the nail on the head with "My piano is my therapist." DITTO!!!