Thursday, March 18, 2010

Warm Strawberries


Are one of my favorite things! Weird?...Maybe. I constantly pull them out of the fridge, and Brian always puts them back in...like he's doing me a favor. I'm not sure how the majority of the world enjoys their luscious red berries, but I can explain my infatuation.
I grew up on the Central Coast of California...prime strawberry growing weather and there were fields all over. I can't recall a summer when we didn't go pick strawberries ourselves. It's so satisfying to overfill your own cardboard flat of bright red juicy fruit, knowing there's not a single bruised or unripe one waiting for you on the bottom. BUT, the best part is the all-you-can-eat buffet WHILE PICKING! Hence, the warm berries. We use to roll out of those rows...and thought the farm owners would be smart to weigh us before and after and charge for each pound of fruit we consumed. I don't know if my taste buds really prefer them warm or if it's just nostalgia, but I'm glad the sunshine is out and yummy California berries are back in the stores.



okay...I need to preface this picture by saying I stole if off some blog I found through Google. But I couldn't resist. This is my NIPOMO STRAWBERRY FIELD!! In the back you see the bend in the road lined with Eucalyptus trees and the delicious strawberries in her flat complete with handle....so don't pay attention to the girl...I'll replace this with my own picture the next time I'm down there.

1 comment:

Ms. Natalie said...

I'm with you on the warm fruit. I hate cold fruit, but mostly it's because it hurts my teeth when it's too cold. Maybe we're both weird.