Thursday, May 8, 2008

Never a dull moment

Business has been S...L...O...W to say the least, so I've found myself dreaming up all kinds of projects to do: food storage, crown moulding, new backyard...you get the idea. Sitting in front of a computer all day I have loads of time to browse the "information highway." I've investigated a few of those projects thoroughly enough to know that most can't be done in the next two weeks before we get busy again at the store. I've settled on our laundry room. I'll take a before and after for you, but let's just say the "before" is sad. Right now all the stuff we use just sits on top of the washer and dryer because the one shelf that's in the laundry room is like 7 feet tall. No place for the daily detergent to reside. So, I have been surfing the web trying to find the best deal on a set of shelves or cabinets that would fit in the room and give me lots of extra storage for all my cleaning supplies. They're a little scattered right now--hall closet and under the kitchen and bathroom sinks--I want to consolidate it all, and have it look nice too. (Ambitious, I know.)
ANYWAY, Ikea seemed to be the best deal around, and lucky for me I work not far from one. So today I was able to sneak away for a quick jaunt to the super store and pick up a selection of cabinets to fit perfectly above my washer & dryer. It made me so excited! I can see the clean room now! I must have been envisioning the sparkling room because I loaded everything in my car, closed the trunk all set to go, and even tucked my purse securely in the rear with MY KEYS IN IT!! AHHH!!
It was a slow motion panic as I pushed the trunk door down and saw the glimmer of my keys. Then the dreadful "beep!" My car's reassuring sound to tell me we're locked and loaded. UGH! I stood there for a minute not knowing what to do...I checked the sun roof...(side note, the first time I locked my keys in the car was about a year ago at a gas station when my card wouldn't work at the pump so I had to go in--I was in a hurry so I locked the car and ran in forgetting the keys and was lucky enough to have left the sun roof open. I couldn't jump high enough myself so I asked the guy filling up behind me to give me a boost into the car. Embarrassing I know, but better than waiting around.) SO, today I checked the sun roof first, no such luck. The car was sealed shut from every angle. The good news is that Ikea has a courtesy phone, for which I am eternally grateful.
I called Brian in a bit of a panic and the phone call went something like this--

"Claims, this is Brian"
"Hey Bri, I'm at Ikea and my keys are locked in the trunk!"
"OK, I'll be there as soon as I can."
"HURRY! I'm parked in the 15 minute loading zone!"
"Alright, I'm on my way."

So, I went back out to guard my car to put up a fight against the parking police since I would definitely be there longer than the 15 minutes allotted to me. I found myself a catalog and sat on those oh so comfy poles outside. Luckily it's not too hot here yet, or it would have been a bigger nightmare than it already was. So, about 45 minutes later my knight in shining armor appeared in jeans and a polo; a definite sight for sore eyes. He came and rescued me from the parking lot of pain. Thanks again Brian. You can put it on my HUGE 'I owe you' tab along with the millions of other things you do for me.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

That's the funniest story, about being boosted up by a stranger to get into your car via the sunroof, I mean. Not your tragedy today. What a guy Brian is! That reminds me of all those days in Sac that I would wander all around whatever parking lot I happened to be stuck in searching for the perfect stick that I'd be able to unlock my car door with. I'd think I'd have one and nope, it would break or didn't have the right curve to it. I'd have to go back to searching. And some parking lots had very few sticks! I did that for WAY too long! It's funny now, though!